If you have information, stories, photographs, etc., to share about anyone in my family, please contact me - howardka at earthlink.net. If you use anything from this blog, please contact me for permission to post/use elsewhere. I don't mind sharing but would like credit for these original posts and family photos.

Friday, August 26, 2011

First Post


Since I retired from teaching first graders two years ago, I finally had more time to put into genealogy research of my family and my husband's family. This blog will deal with my side of the house.

I actually started researching in the 1990's, dabbling here and there, but not on a consistent basis. I went to the Orange County Library from time to time and managed to find a little bit of information. I took a class or two in Winter Park, FL. My Aunt Nita and Uncle Henry shared some of their findings with me. My sister, Kathi, gave me a copy of pages from a Bible where someone had copied births and deaths in my daddy's family. My mother gave me a few names. Over the years I asked some questions and have since discovered not nearly enough.

So, being retired, I started taking genealogy classes at the local community college in Murphy, NC. What a blessing that has been! Beginning in the fall of 2009 and during subsequent semesters I've taken these classes: Beginning/Intermediate Genealogy; Genealogy on the Internet; Advanced Genealogy; Legacy (the computer program I use); and my current class Genealogy: Researching Your Family History on the Net (an updated version of my previous class - things change rapidly in the computer world). I've had the same instructor for all the classes . . . the very knowledgeable and experienced genealogist, Larry. In our first class this week, he encouraged us to blog about our genealogy. This is my attempt.

My purpose is to let my family know what I find out as I go on my treasure hunts and to share what I've already found out. Since I'm just beginning, this blog is starting out with a spare look, which I hope will change as I learn more about the mechanics of setting up and maintaining a blog.

So, here goes . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment