If you have information, stories, photographs, etc., to share about anyone in my family, please contact me - howardka at earthlink.net. If you use anything from this blog, please contact me for permission to post/use elsewhere. I don't mind sharing but would like credit for these original posts and family photos.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Thomas Gilley, Jr.


Last week I was looking in Google Books for anything I could find about my family. I looked up Jowers first, as I usually do, and ended up with nothing, as I usually do. Then I tried Gilley. Jackpot! I found several things about Thomas Gilley, Jr.

Thomas Gilley, Jr. is my great-grandfather, the father of my grandmother, Annie Gilley Jowers. He seems to have been an interesting person. In Aunt Nita and Uncle Henry's research, I found he owned a lumber business with his brother, Jere (Jeremiah). He was the Superintendent of Education for Dale County, AL in the 1890's (according to a piece of stationery). I haven't found the exact years yet. There's also a story in my family that he was a doctor. My cousin, Edgar, said he'd heard that TG, Jr. was an optometrist. He was also an ordained minister in the Church of Christ at Goodwater in Dale County, AL.

That brings me back to my Google Books search. I found several interesting pieces of information about Thomas Gilley, Jr.  At the meeting of the Medical Association of Alabama in 1894 it was recorded in the section of the county medical associations reports:  "Examinations -- for the study of medicine, John A. Steed and Thomas Gilley; Gilley was rejected."

Thomas Gilley, Jr. was about 36 years old at the time, and Annie Gilley was about 2 years old.

Then, in the Journal of the House of Representatives, State of Alabama, 1896-97, on the 39th day of the session, Thursday, February 4, 1897, I found this:

Introduction of Bills.

"On a call of the counties, bills were introduced, severally read one time, and referred to appropriate committees, as follows:
By Mr. Killebrew -- [W. B. Killebrew, representative of Dale County]
H. 1129.   To authorize and empower Dr. Thos. Gilley, Jr., to practice physic within a radius of ten miles of Wicksburg, and to make charges for service and collect the same."

I couldn't locate within the book (journal), what happened to this bill. I'm not sure why he was referred to as Dr. Thos. Gilley, Jr. I'll be looking into both issues at a later time to see if I can find some answers.

I wanted to put copies of the actual pages here, but I don't know how at this time. It's SO exciting to me to see our family's ancestors' names in documents.

1 comment:

  1. Thomas Gilley Jr is my paternal 3rd great grand uncle. Your blog is very interesting! I am creating a family tree on Ancestry and would love to share info. I would love to see any of the articles you mention. My e-mail is jwells36305@yahoo.com. I am from Wicksburg, AL and went to Goodwater Church were Thomas a many many of his family are buried.

    Thanks,
    Jeff Wells

    ReplyDelete